Navigating Customs with Musical Instruments

Moving any valuable items – like musical instruments – across borders can be difficult and time-consuming.  Customs officers abroad want to be sure that you will take your equipment with you when you leave their country, and customs officials on your return will want to be sure that you have not acquired your equipment while overseas. If, in either case, they are not convinced, you may have to pay import duty on your instruments, or worse, the equipment may be impounded. Inevitably, it will cause considerable disruption and inconvenience for your whole group.
The best way to avoid these problems is to travel with a carnet. This is an official document, recognized in most countries (check the list on ATA’s website), that acts as a guarantee that any duty due will be paid.
For more information or to apply for a carnet, please visit